The Move To Dreamhost

Posted on

For quite a while I have been looking for a hosting service that will give me a large amount of flexibility in what I want to accomplish.  Namely, I wanted to find a service that will allow me to host my blog, set a home page, link in a site for my book when I finally get it ready for publication, set up a learning management system for my classes, and allow me to start a collaboration project with my family on genealogy.  most options out there were fairly expensive, or didn't provide the level of reliability that I was looking for.  What to do?  Well, I finally found Dreamhost.  Now, I'm not saying that Dreamhost is the end-all beat-all, but it had a great offering for the price, with 500 GB of storage and tons of bandwidth, both of which continue to grow as the site grows.  I can also host as many domains as I wish, as many websites as I like, and even have ssh access to my server.  This means I can use sshfs to upload my site files, while also using my server for some much needed storage.  But that's all the reasons why I moved to Dreamhost.  Let's talk about the actual move.  The domain creation was all really easy.  Each subdomain is free, which is very convenient.  The Mail, Calendar, etc. is all hosted through Google Apps, which is very convenient in that it saves space on my server.  If only I could get the GCALDaemon working properly...  Anyway, setting up the domains was very painless.  Next, the services.  I started, of course, with the blog.  They had WordPress available as a one-click install, which worked beautifully.  It was ready for me to set up and configure almost immediately.  I then selected the current template because it was very light on the visuals, and soft on the eyes. The second service I set up was PhpGedView, which I set up on <a href="http://gedcom.robbclan.com">gedcom.robbclan.com</a>.  Then I tried to upload my families gedcom file:  it failed.  Why did it fail?  The program was set up for up to 7 MB files, and my family has a gedcom file that is 65 MB.  It would have been a problem, but I just uploaded it with ssh, and got it installed.  The only problem now is tweaking the program a little bit to allow updates to such a large file.  But that's something I will be working on later.  The last service I set up was my Moodle server.  I love Moodle:  It's an open source version of Blackboard or WebCT, and is arguably better in many aspects.  It set up quickly, and I chose a theme that was very telling (brushed metal).  Yes, I chose it because it's a popular Mac theme.  But as the majority of classes I teach are Mac classes, I thought it would be appropriate.  I then set up my classes, or I should say supplements to my classes.  They are mostly discussion and quizzes that I use for my For-credit students, and will allow students in the non-credit course to access and use if they so wish.  It's not meant to be a replacement or attempt to teach the class online at all.  I then set up the outline for an online course on how to Learn to Cook.  It's currently closed as it isn't nearly as ready as I would like, so don't expect to access it or use it.  Now, the only thing left to do is to create a real website.  Currently I have a placeholder with very little code, using the template for the blog.  I also properly cited the theme creator, as he deserves all the credit for the theme.  The website will be changing as I get more time to work on it, but for now it's enough to explain what the domain is all about, and has links to the various programs I'm working on.  So, that was my adventure so far!  Right now I'm getting my work machine ready for a reinstall, and then I will be working more on the site.  I also need to get my blog published and out there.  I don't expect I will be getting as many hits as I did from my Blogger account, but it will be interesting from an SEO perspective to see how the hits change.